Are you experiencing back pain? Well, you’re not alone. About 80% of people suffer from lower back pain at some point in their life. There are several reasons behind lower back pain including poor posture, slipped disc, arthritis, osteoporosis, etc. Various back-strengthening exercises play a significant role in minimizing back injuries and lower back pain.
Common causes of back pain:
Several injuries and conditions can cause pain in the lower back. Following are some of the reasons behind low back pain:
Benefits of back strengthening exercises:
Strengthening exercises for lower back pain can result in several benefits for the back, some of which include the following:
- Improved posture
- Spinal alignment
- Lesser stress on the spine and discs
- Reduced stress on the joints
- Strengthens the spine
Back strengthening exercises
How can you fix a weak back? Exercise for the lower back can help in preventing and relieving pain in the back. Moreover, these exercises can also provide support to the upper back and stabilize the lower back (spine). If you feel pain or an increase in the already existing back pain, stop performing the exercise.
What are the 3 simple exercises for back pain? Following are some back muscle strengthening/stretching exercises for the lower back:
To perform a plank, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Lie straight on the floor on your stomach, keep your forearms against the floor directly in line with your shoulders
- Tighten your gluteal and abdominal muscles
- Now gently lift your knees and hips off the floor.
- Hold this position for about 20-30 seconds
- Note to not let the pelvis sag towards the floor.
- Now, slowly come back to the initial position.
- Repeat this 5 times.
– Abdominal crunches:
To perform this exercise, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Lie straight on your back on the floor.
- Bend your knees, keep your feet flat and hips wide apart on the floor.
- Cross your hands on your chest
- While exhaling, tighten your abdominal muscles and lift your head and shoulders off the floor.
- Gently come back to the initial position
- Repeat the same exercises about 10 times.
– Knee to chest stretches:
To perform this lower back stretching exercise, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Lie straight on your back on the floor keeping both legs flat.
- Lift your left leg, bend the knee and bring/bend it towards your chest.
- Pull the knee towards the chest using both hands, and hold it for several seconds.
- Gently release the knee, coming to the initial position, and repeat the same on the right leg.
Lower back strengthening, stretching, or stabilization exercises can help in the improvement of lower back flexibility, strength, and stability. Moreover, exercises/stretches for the lower back can also help in preventing lower back pain and alleviating the pain.