Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis. The joints most affected by osteoarthritis include hands, hips, knees, and spine. Osteoarthritis affects millions of people worldwide. Exercises help in improving movement, joint strength, and flexibility. According to the Arthritis Foundation, exercises and physical activities play an important role in managing osteoarthritis. It helps reduce pain and improve mobility among osteoarthritis patients. Exercises also help maintain a normal healthy weight. Extra weight can put pressure and stress on your joints, knees, and hips. Exercises for osteoarthritis are very effective and beneficial.
For an osteoarthritis patient, exercises can be a challenge. Which why it is recommended to consult a specialist first. Experienced physiotherapists provide suitable exercises taking your osteoarthritis stage under consideration. Best exercises for patients with osteoarthritis should include workouts to improve flexibility and muscle strength. Following are some exercises for osteoarthritis pain relief:
Exercises for Osteoarthritis:
Following are some of the different types of exercises for pain relief from osteoarthritis. Consult a specialist for exercising with osteoarthritis.
Below are some simple exercises to warm up for osteoarthritis:
While standing, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Put both hands on your hips
- From your waist, bend on the one side
- Come back to your initial position
- Repeat the same stretch on the other side.
Keep your back straight and follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Raise your shoulders towards your ears
- Then lower them and repeat
Follow the below-mentioned steps
- Stand straight with your feet at shoulder width
- Twist your upper body to your right side as far as you easily can
- Then rotate back to the center and repeat the same stretch on the left side.
These exercises help strengthen your muscles which ultimately support your joints.
You can perform this exercise while sitting on a chair.
- Sit on a chair while keeping your knee on slightly at the end of the chair
- Gently extend your leg out forward, straightening the leg.
- Then bend your knee back to the initial posture past 90 degrees (if easily possible)
- Repeat the same exercise on the other leg. Do this movement about 20 times.
Lying leg lifts
This exercise can be performed while lying on the floor or bed.
- Firstly, lie straight on the bed or floor keeping your knees bent and feet flat.
- Then keep your legs straight and extended
- Gently lift your leg up past 45 degrees, involving the muscles of the front thigh
- Maintain the position for a while
- Slowly bring your leg down and repeat the same on the other leg.
- Repeat this movement about 20 times. Completing 3 sets.
These exercises help ease the stiffness and improve the range of motion of your joints.
Double hip rotation
Follow the following steps
- Lie straight on the floor knees bent and feet flat.
- Keep your shoulder flat on the surface as well.
- Slowly rotate your knees towards the right side onto the floor
- Hold the position for about 25-30 seconds.
- Slowly come back to the initial position
- Repeat the same on the left side
These exercises are low impact and gentle exercises. they help strengthen your heart and lungs.
It’s just walking, right? Walking comes with a lot of benefits. Top of the list would be that walking improves the overall circulation. It also lowers our risk of fractures and strengthens the muscle.
Aquatic exercises are also an ideal choice for someone who just started exercising. The buoyancy of water puts lesser pressure on the joints and provides resistance to the muscles. Pool exercises are very beneficial for people with osteoarthritis.
For patients with osteoarthritis, certain physical exercises can be tricky. This is why one should consult a specialist first. You can have a detailed overview of the tips for exercising with osteoarthritis here.
KKT Orthopedic Spine Center offers a revolutionary, non-surgical Canadian Technology treatment. The primary focus of KKT Treatment is to diagnose and treat patients suffering from spinal ailments. KKT treatment has a 93% of success rate with no known major side effects.
For further details, you can get in touch with us through our patient-care line. One of our representatives will guide you to the best of their ability.