How can you get relief from back pain?
Back pain is a common problem faced by various people. There can be several underlying reasons behind back pain. Some of the common causes include strain (due to heavy lifting), poor posture, arthritis, spondylosis or osteoporosis, etc. You can feel backache every time you move, get up, bend, sit down, or while standing up. But it’s also a fact that movement is good for your spine. This article includes some of the back pain relief exercises, stretches, and other ways. So, the idea of resting or lying down for back pain just went out of the window!
Importance of back pain relief exercises:
There are various ways to relieve back pain. Exercising regularly, working out, and keeping your spine active, strengthen your back. Strong muscles and bones are a crucial part of back pain prevention. Lower back pain is the most common type of back pain among adults. Note that before practicing any exercises or stretches at home, consult a professional first. Because if exercises are not done properly it can result in increased pain. The type of exercises and stretches should depend on the level of your pain and disease condition.
Back Pain Relief Exercises:
Exercises and stretches strengthen your muscles and spine. Below are some back pain relief exercises:
- Child’s pose
- Partial crunches
- Knee to chest Stretches
- Rotational Stretches while sitting
Knee to Chest Stretches:
To perform this exercise, follow the below-given steps:
- First lie down on your back straight.
- Bend both of your knees keeping your feet flat against the floor
- Slowly bring your one leg/knee towards your chest (the other leg should remain in the same position)
- Press your lower back on the floor
- Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same stretch on the other leg.
- Perform this for about two to three times on each leg.
In order to perform this pose, follow the below-given steps:
- Sit on your knees and hands on the ground.
- Then sink your hips back in order to rest them on your heels
- Lean/bend forward, hinging your hips along with stretching your hands in front of you and with your belly resting on your thighs.
- Hold this position for about 40 to 50 seconds and take deep breaths during it.
- Come back to the initial position and repeat the pose.
Rotational Stretches while sitting:
To perform this stretch, follow the following steps:
- Sit on a chair with your ears, shoulders and hips aligned.
- Bend slightly forward to avoid any kind of rounded back
- Fold your arms below the height of your shoulder
- Rotate your hip with your waist towards your right side.
- Note: move your head at the last
- Hold your position for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Slowly come back to the starting position.
- Repeat the same stretch onto the left side.
- Perform this stretch for about 3 to 5 times on each side.
This exercise is a core-strengthening exercise. It results in strengthened lower back and stomach muscles, therefore, a perfect exercise for people with spondylosis. Follow the following steps for performing this exercise:
- Lie down on ground with your knees bend and feet flat.
- Cross your hands over your chest or put them under your neck.
- Raise your shoulders from the ground while tightening your stomach muscles.
- Note that, exhale as you are lifting your shoulders and don’t raise your neck using the hands
- Hold the position for a second keeping your elbows straight.
- Slowly come back to the initial position.
- Note that through all of this make sure to keep your lower back, tailbones and feet on the floor.
- Repeat this exercise for about 10 times and make sure to keep a proper form.
When to seek medical attention?
Exercises do play a vital role in strengthening your joints, muscles, and bones. They can help relieve pain but they can only be effective if done properly. This is why if you are suffering from back pain, consult a specialist before performing exercises at home. Incorrectly done exercises can result in excessive pressure on your spine. This can lead to an increase in pain.
KKT Orthopedic Spine Center offers Canadian Technology Treatment for spine-related problems. Book your consultation with KKT’s competent orthopedic consultants in Lahore, Karachi, and other centers. KKT Pakistan has 8 operational centers across Pakistan with KKT centers across the globe.
For booking an appointment, kindly get in touch with us through our patient care line. Call us at 0800-00-558 and one of our representatives will guide you to the best of their ability.