Resting may be the first thing that crosses your mind with lower back pain. But exercising or being physically active may be beneficial for improving your pain as well. Bending, moving, and lifting, may not seem the right thing to do, but strengthening the lower back is. Exercises for lower back pain are pretty beneficial. They strengthen your lower back muscles and help improve your leg and stomach muscles. These muscles play a vital role in providing support to your spine. Therefore, assisting in relieving, reducing, or preventing back pain.
The most common causes of lower back pain are:
- Poor posture
- Lifting heavy objects
What are the benefits of exercises for lower back pain?
Exercises help strengthen the muscles providing support to the spine. Moreover, they also repair and stretch these muscles. Therefore, preventing the tissues from strain in the lower back. It works both ways, exercises strengthen the back, and a healthy back means:
- Improved posture
- Prevention from back pain
- Stable spine
- Improved strength
- Preventing injury
Weakened back or stomach muscles do not provide proper support to the spine, resulting in back pain. Along with strengthening exercises, stretching is also beneficial for the back. These exercises may help in pain relief as well as lubricate facet joints with motion.
Risk factors of lower back pain:
Keeping the spine healthy plays a vital role in preventing lower back pain. However, several factors can increase the risk of lower back pain:
- Lack of exercise/physical inactivity
- Obesity or excess weight
- Lifting heavy objects improperly
- Mental health issues
Strengthening exercises for lower back pain:
Some of the exercises to strengthen the lower back include the following:
This exercise works on strengthening the gluteus muscle. It is the largest muscle in the human body present at the posterior aspect of the hip joint. In order to perform this strengthening exercise, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Lie straight on the floor on your back
- Keep your knees bent and wide apart.
- Gradually raise your hips from the floor
- Note to keep the hips, shoulders, and knees aligned
- Hold the position for about three breaths
- And slowly come back to the initial position
- Repeat this exercise about 10 to 15 times.
Aside from working on abdominal muscles, planks also focus on the arms, hips, shoulders, feet, flexors, etc. And therefore, stabilizes the entire body. To perform planks, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- With your back facing the roof, lie straight on the ground against your forearms and toes.
- Keep your shoulders and elbows aligned.
- Slowly lift your hips and knees off the ground,
- Focus on keeping the body in a straight line, no bends.
- Maintain this position for about 10 seconds.
- Slowly come back to the initial position.
- Repeat this 3-5 times.
- Gradually work from 10 seconds to 30-50 seconds.
3. Abdominal crunches:
This exercise focuses on the abdominal muscles making the core stronger. These muscles play a significant role in providing the spine with support as well as hip alignment. To perform abdominal crunches, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Lie straight on the ground on your back
- Bend your knees and either cross your hands behind your head or on the chest.
- Gently, raise your head and shoulders off the ground contracting or tightening your abdominal muscles.
- Note that the shoulder blades should be about 1 to 2 inches off the ground
- Gradually come back to the initial position.
- Repeat the exercise about 10 times.
Strengthening exercises have several benefits for lower back pain. Stronger back and abdomen muscles provide proper support to the spine and reduce the risk of injury. As well as exercises and stretches for lower back pain. These exercises also improve the overall function of the spine.
However, always consult your physician before performing a new exercise. If you experience an increase in your pain, visit your doctor. Learn about the dos and don’ts with lower back pain here.
KKT Orthopedic Spine Center offers a revolutionary non-surgical & non-invasive treatment for the victims of the spine, back, and neck-related issues. We have highly qualified orthopedic consultants in Lahore, Karachi, and other operational centers across Pakistan. We offer advanced technology lower back treatment. For booking an appointment, kindly get in touch with us through our patient care line
Or click on the link below.